Water is an essential ingredient in a beautiful landscape. But with rising utility costs, it can quickly become a significant expense.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates that about 50% of the water used for irrigation is wasted, taking a toll on the environment and your budget.
The culprit is often old, inefficient irrigation systems.
Using a modern, smart irrigation system can help you save between 25-50% on your water bills. Upgrading to these systems quickly pays for itself.
What is a smart irrigation system?
Smart irrigation systems use the latest technology to…
- Monitor weather and soil conditions through real-time updates.
- Check on water evaporation and plant water use.
- Automatically adjust the watering schedule based on the actual conditions of your landscape — a sharp contrast to the traditional style of irrigation controller, which was a basic, time-based program that ran on a schedule.
While these controllers can “think” for themselves, you can also control them through a phone app, tablet app, or through a website. At Landscape America, all of the smart controllers we install all require a WiFi connection.
What are the benefits of smart irrigation?
- Optimize your water use. — By adjusting water use based on your weather conditions and soil moisture, your controller optimizes the amount of water it goes through. While it does this, it also gathers real-time data on the amount of water being used. That means it “knows” how to always apply the right amount of water at the right time of day.
- See how much water you’re using (and saving). — Your controller’s app gives you access to all sorts of helpful data at the click of a mouse or tap of a finger. Most apps come with a reporting feature that compiles the data for you, so you can find out how much water is actually being used — and how much you’re saving. Most smart irrigation users find they save up to 50% more water than with a conventional system.
- Find out what the issues are before they become problems. — Whether it’s defective pipes, faulty valve wires, or a broken sprinkler head, your system will alert you (or your landscape contractor) through its app. It’s a bit like a guard dog that protects your property and works for you 24/7. Once you know the problem, you can act quickly to prevent costly landscape damage.
- Get reports and alerts wherever you are. — With smart irrigation, you can water your property — or properties — from anywhere in the world. One controller that we install has a “flow meter” that registers the flow of water through the system. If a major leak develops, the meter sends you — and your landscape contractor — a warning. Then, the system can be shut off remotely, either by smartphone or a computer.
Want some help?
If you’re ready to start saving water — and saving money at the same time — ask us about upgrading to a smart irrigation system on your property.
Our irrigation technicians can help you choose your controller, design your system, and then install it for you. Depending on your current system, you might even be able to retrofit your existing controller.