Property managers and owners have a lot on their plate. They have to oversee all aspects of a property, from parking lots, to landscaping, to building maintenance and snow removal. As a property owner myself, I know what it takes to keep a house and the landscape surrounding it maintained and free of issues. And I know how stressful it can be when something goes wrong, or a contractor doesn’t live up to their promises!
As the co-owner of a landscaping firm that takes on its fair share of commercial projects, you probably think I’m biased — and perhaps I am, a little bit. But I like to think I know a thing or two about what makes a commercial landscaping company successful. There are many companies out there — many of whom we are good friends with and respect — but you need to make sure that the company you choose to go with is a good fit for you and your property’s needs. Here are five attributes to look for before you hire a firm!
- Track record: Looks can be deceiving — a pretty website and good salespeople can only take a company so far. “Don’t judge a book by its cover” goes for landscaping companies, too. Make sure that the company you’re looking to work with has a good track record with proven results and happy clients. Ask around — see what other property managers and owners think!
- Expertise and positioning: Is the firm uniquely positioned to help you and your property? Do they typically serve properties similar to yours? If the answer to both of these questions is “yes”, then you’re likely making a good decision.
- Large portfolio of services: Your property will be well taken care of when the scope of landscaping services you need is all performed by the same contractor. Having the suite of services you need under one roof is ideal — it means less coordination and less hassle. Landscape America has a wide range of capabilities ranging from snow management, to irrigation services, to tree care and regular maintenance! Even if we have to work with one of our trusted partners, you will only deal with a single point of contact at Landscape America.
- Great customer service: Frankly, this should be a given for any company you decide to work with or buy from. Customer service can be gauged in a number of ways, such as through web reviews, word-of-mouth referrals, and general experience with a company. When in doubt, go with your gut!
- A reliable winter fleet: When severe winter weather rolls in, make sure that the firm you’ve partnered with has the trucks, equipment and material to respond to it. Landscape America works directly with WeatherWorks, a meteorology consulting firm that offers third-party certified reporting on snowfall totals, past and present weather conditions, and future winter weather risks.
If you weigh these five factors with the services you want and need from a landscaping firm, you’re likely going to be headed in the right direction. The best landscaping firms will help you by taking on some of your burdens as a property manager or owner. At Landscape America, we strive to be the ideal firm to work with commercially. We understand how busy you are, so you’ll never have to hold our hand! We keep the lines of communication as open as we possibly can, because we care. Speaking of which, why not get in touch if you’re looking for a commercial landscaping contractor this upcoming season?